Wow! Virtual Physiotherapy! What an age we’re living in. We’re so pleased to be able to provide convenient rehabilitation options for our clients. As this is a new offering, and completely unknown for many of our current (and potential clients), we wanted to put together a few resources and helpful tips so that you can get the most out of this platform.
Tele-rehabilitation sounds intimidating to most. In short, it is the use of information or communication technologies to allow you and your physiotherapist to connect via video to receive physiotherapy services at a distance when an in-person visit is not possible (*cough* COVID). Here are a few frequently asked questions about tele-rehabilitation in physiotherapy.
When might tele-rehabilitation be appropriate?
• Tele-rehabilitation may be appropriate if you cannot easily attend an in-person visit because there is a shortage of appropriate physiotherapy care available in the region where you live or because you have transportation or mobility problems.
• Tele-rehabilitation may be used to augment your ongoing treatment by enabling your treating physiotherapist or other health care provider to consult with a physiotherapist who has a skillset uniquely suited to your individual needs.
• Tele-rehabilitation may offer a way for you to receive follow-up care by your original treating physiotherapist if you are no longer in the location where the initial treatment was provided.
When would tele-rehabilitation not be appropriate?
• Tele-rehabilitation has limitations compared to an in-person encounter such as the inability to perform hands-on examination, assessment and treatment. For this reason, in many circumstances, if suitable in-person care is available it will be preferable.
• It is up to you and the physiotherapist to determine what is best for you, based on your particular condition and preference, available technology, and other risks and benefits.
Will I get good quality care?
Expect to receive the same safe, quality care that you would get during an in-person visit with our Physiotherapists! The College expects physiotherapists to meet the same standards of practice regardless of how the services are delivered, and we take this very seriously.
What are the risks of receiving care via tele-rehabilitation?
The risks of receiving physiotherapy care specific to tele-rehabilitation relate mostly to concerns about the privacy of your personal health information (the software we use is HIPPA compliant and meets all the privacy regulations stipulated by the College), and your personal safety. Our physiotherapists are required to ensure that the location where you receive care is safe, and that procedures are in place to ensure the availability of help in the event of an emergency. Our physiotherapists may recommend that the visit proceed in the presence of another person to enhance the safety and value of the visit.
Will my personal information still be private and secure?
Our physiotherapists are required to ensure the privacy and security of your personal information at all times. This extends to the technology they use as well as the appropriateness of the setting in which services are delivered. For example, it may be appropriate for you to receive services in your home or at a medical facility, with the physiotherapist communicating with you from their office rather than in a public place.
What do I need to get started?
Chipperfield Physiotherapy uses a platform called “PHYSITRACK” to complete virtual rehab appointments. This program requires:
- On a Desktop
- a working camera and microphone.
- a modern browser, such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Microsoft Edge. IE11 is not supported.
- You can test your system by clicking here
- On a Tablet/Phone
- a working camera and microphone.
- iOS/Andriod devices, with the ability to access the App Stores and download an App
What does the Physitrack look like?
Good question! It is very similar to platforms like FaceTime & Skype, except that Physitrack is by nature, a more secure platform. It also allows for the practitioner to play exercise videos and put together your program in a convenient PDF format for after your appointment. Plus! You can download the free PhysiApp patient app to follow perfect form exercise videos and report your progress with your practitioner, both online and offline. There are also in-app reminders to keep you on track and motivated! Check out the image below for a good idea of what it looks like!
If you have any question about this new service, please feel free to complete the online booking form below to pass along your questions. If you’re ready to book your free introductory session, just let us know in the same form below!
Can’t wait to see ya in the virtual world!